Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Kitchen, part deux

Sorry that I don't have any photos to share, hopefully tomorrow or the next day. The last few days have seen me demo the kitchen. Still a good piece left to do.

I am gutting all 3 walls right down to the studs, the good thing is that there is no lathe and plaster just old planks on top of planks with drywall on top of it all. This has made things relatively easy and clean. There has also been a lot of cardboard, this is what they used a long time ago for soundproofing....I guess, makes sense to me. We did find a newspaper in the wall, it was an old Ottawa Citizen from September 14, 1933. If I get a chance I will scan a section of it and post it. It has some great headlines in it.

It was also nice to get rid of the horribly disgusting cabinets. You have never seen anything so gross, well actually, what was under them was far more disgusting. The end wall is also pretty flimsy and the window that is installed was done poorly. Its looking like I will have to come up with a way of strengthening the wall by redoing a lot of the framing. We have also ordered a new much bigger window, that along with the new double doors will really give the kitchen an airy feel. All the sunlight will also serve to open the kitchen up as well.

One good thing was that the water pipes to the kitchen sink have shut off valves in the basement. This let me demo the sink and the counter top by cutting away the pipes. It also means I won't have to call in a plumber until all the drywall and the new Ikea cabinets are installed.

I have been mentioning that I am building concrete countertops, for those who don't know what they look like or who want to learn more check out this gallery.www.concreteexchange.com This guy makes the nicest stuff around. He has even written a couple of how-to books, of which I now own one and highly recommend it. For his regular site see the side bar links. If all goes well here I might start making custom countertops on the side.

Before I go, I should also mention that we no longer have a functional kitchen. The fridge is in the dining area. The sink is gone and if we dirty dishes we now have to wash them in the bathtub...anyone want to do a dinner party this weekend?

PS. If anyone is interested in a stove, we have one for sale. The stove is a few years old and could use a little work on the enamel and one burner needs replacing, other that that it is nearly new. So if you are looking for a cheap working stove give us a shout...seriously.

No comments: