Wednesday, May 10, 2006

It's taking shape...sort of.

The last two days have been tough, the weather has been so nice that it's hard to get motivated to work inside. The good news at least for me being productive is that the weather is supposed to be ugly for the next 3 or 4 days.

Tuesday I started to frame in the rough opening for the new French doors. The plan will be to drywall up to the edge of the door for now. In another week or two we will start the demo of the cold room and that is when I will install the new door. Once again I put in a header to deal with transferring the weight from the wall above. On both of the exterior walls I also screwed the existing exterior sheeting into the studs. This has helped ensure a much stronger and more rigid structure....my walls no longer flex. I also now know why our windows don't lock well, they have been bent by the weight of the house and are now curved so the locks no longer align...exactly the reason why the header is so important.

Wednesday I built a bulkhead around the plumbing that is exposed in the ceiling of the kitchen, this plumbing is for the bathroom up stairs. The bulkhead will also house the electrical for both the kitchen and the upstairs bathroom.

I now have to deal with a plumbing vent that runs the length of the kitchen ceiling. This pipe tied into the plumbing vent for the kitchen sink. I am hoping that Derl, my plumber can get redo the vent. There are also a couple of other pipes that need to be moved.

I haven't gotten around to insulating the walls yet, maybe tomorrow. I will also need to frame around the chimney and add some 2 x 6 supports for the cabinetry.

On another note, I have just found out I have to approve the comments for them to be posted. I will keep an eye on them so feel free to post.

No comments: