Sunday, May 07, 2006

Slowly but surely

The kitchen is slowly but surely getting there. Mel and I spent the weekend finishing the demo and cleaning the place up.

We had some issues with the floor, first layer was linoleum, under that was vinyl tiles on top of very well nailed down plywood. The guys who did the work sure didn't take any short cuts. They made sure the plywood was down and not moving, they had about 3 inch spacing between the 2 inch long nails. The problem was that below the plywood was an old oak floor. Really too bad as it would have been nice to sand and reuse the flooring but since this was the only place in the house it was used and we have already gone with bamboo, we had to rip it out. So unfortunately the ripping out of the floor took longer than expected.

After that I managed to get most of the electrical in the kitchen done. I will add some GFI outlets to the backsplash area tomorrow and that will do it for the wiring.

On Thursday I got our old fuse box removed and replaced with a new breaker panel. With the new breaker panel I can easily add new circuits myself. If anyone is looking for a good electrician, let me know and I will get you in contact with mine.

This week I am hoping that I can get the rest of the framing done, I have to add two headers (window and door) and frame out the new openings as well. The windows are ordered and should be here soon. I will also try and frame the new bulk head for the plumbing. Then it will be time to insulate and put on the vapour barrier. Once all that is done then I can start the drywalling.

No comments: