Tuesday, May 16, 2006

No big changes from yesterday...just a bit closer to being done

Today I managed to get a fair bit done despite a very sore back. The weird thing is that sitting at my desk hurts far more than actually doing physical work.

I managed to get most of the drywall done, except for a small section where I ran out of insulation and the pillar by the framed in chimney, there I have to install a heating duct to the second floor. Hopefully tomorrow I will pick up some more insulation and will then finish off drywalling the 3 walls.

I also started putting the strapping on the ceiling. I am using 2 x 4 as they are the right thickness allowing the kitchen ceiling to now match up with the living and dining room ceiling. It will be a nice continuous flow.

Derl stopped by and we think we have a plan to fix some of the plumbing and to remove a pipe or two. See the top picture, it's the pipe that is currently emptying into the yellow bucket in the right hand corner.

By fixing the plumbing this will allow me to have a pillar that is narrower and thus allows a better view into the kitchen from the living room. The pillar will also balance nicely with the pillar in the half wall near the front door. We will paint them both with a colour that accents them well.

My biggest concern in building a pillar around the chimney is that it would protrude into the kitchen to much and throw of the look a bit. In order to minimize the depth of the pillar I turned the 2 x 4 studs flat and 'tapconed' them into the actual chimney.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get the chance to pick up some more supplies and get most or the remaining drywall and insulating done. Hopefully on the weekend Robin will be able to swing by and help me install the ceiling drywall. After that it's mud time. Wait till you see what we are going to do with the backsplash and end wall.

No comments: