Sunday, April 30, 2006

Kitchen


Sorry for the lack of posts lately, I took some time off from the renovation. Last week we were in Texas for Jane and Louie's wedding and well this week I just didn't really feel like doing much.

Texas was great, nice people and great weather. Our first day there the thermometer hit 99 degrees. Mel and I had a great time hanging out with Jane and Louie. They definitely do things big there, we ended up eating so much food. We also got to do some sightseeing we went into Dallas one day and hit Fort Worth the next. Fort Worth is quite interesting, here is a town that embraces its' cowboy heritage yet has one of the best art galleries in North America, the Kimball Art Museum. The Kimball was designed by Louis Kahn and its made completely out of concrete. It is perhaps his best piece of work, I think. If you get a chance check out more on Louis Kahn or watch the documentary 'My Architect'. The art it housed was also amazing, who'd have thought that there'd be Picassos, Rodins, Monets, Mondrians and Gaugains in Texas!

Now that I have the master mostly done I am a little more relaxed and don't feel the urgency to get something done. Today (Sunday) I started gutting the kitchen. I managed to put a good dent in and got a lot more done than I thought I could. Based on what we did today, the change is amazing the kitchen is now a whole foot wider than before and a foot taller as well. I am hoping that by the end of the week I will have it completely gutted. Once that is done I'll be working on:

- the electrical... lots of wiring to do
- insulating and soundproofing
- installing new double exterior french door.
- drywall and mudding

Once all that is done we'll start building and installing the new Ikea kitchen cabinets. After that I get to start my next fun project...building concrete countertops.

Well, keep checking back as I am once again motivated and will try to post regularly again.

No comments: