Tuesday, March 07, 2006

On my way to being an electrician...not quite

Just a quick update tonight. I managed to get all the electrical hooked up without having a fire or even blowing a fuse. I am however getting a weird reading with one of my testers, it is telling me that my neutral and hot wires are reversed but the receptacles work just fine. I did try the tester out on an original receptacle and got the same issue. The good news is a buddy of mine who is an electrician is swinging by tomorrow night, I will get him to take a look at it.

I also managed to get our new thermostat installed, now I can trash the old mercury one which is straight from the 60s. I guess I better call the city to ask them how I should dispose of a mercury switch.

Next steps are:

- clean up the master bedroom.
- finish some minor demo in the master.
- redo electrical in master
- redo the heating
- build a new much bigger closet
- drywall the ceiling

Good news, my buddy the electrician just swung by. For the most part my wiring was correct I just had the wrong switches, I was using a 3-way switch when only a 2-way was required. All I know is that the lights go on when I turn on the switch and nothing catches fire.

No comments: