Sunday, March 12, 2006

Drywall and the Master Bedroom

It's been a while since I last posted and boy a lot has gone on in the last four days.

I've spent most of the time tinkering with the electrical. I have been replacing the old wiring whenever possible. At one point the basement was quite a mess of wires, I have since drilled holes and strung the wires giving the basement a much better sense of order. I am adding a lot of new circuits as the house was poorly wired. We will be replacing our old fuse panel towards the end of the month with a new breaker panel.

On Saturday my buddy 'The Bish' (Robin) came over and helped me drywall the ground floor ceiling. The original ceiling was an ugly stucco and because of the demo had a lot of holes in it. So we just decided to drywall over it. Things went really well and we managed to get to the Elmdale Tavern in abut 3 1/2 hours for a pint or two.

I do have some advice for other DIY home renovators if you are planning on drywalling a ceiling and don't have an army to help you out, make sure you go with 8 foot sheets. I ordered 12 and 10 footers and we were forced to cut them as they would have been completely unmanageable by two people.

The other piece of advice is don't go with Manotick Building Supplies, as they are completely inept. I placed an order with them on Wednesday, requesting that it be delivered by 1 on Friday. They never even showed leaving us to scramble and try and find someone to deliver with one days notice. Thank goodness for Rona, heck they even gave us a $30 gift card.

Today (Sunday) we tackled the master bedroom as it needed some cleaning and some more demo. We filled 20 garbage bags of plaster and wood, now my fingers are crossed that our garbage guys will take it all away tomorrow. We have basically put out over 30 bags of garbage in the last 2 weeks.

The master is looking great now and boy is it huge. Tomorrow we will finish tearing down lath and plaster on the shared wall, the plan will be to put in a noise barrier since there is nothing but lath and plaster between the two homes. Then one last clean up and the room will be ready for the next step.

Check back tomorrow as I will post some new pictures of the living room as well as the master so you can get a better idea of what we have done.

Just to let everyone know I have changed the settings on the blog, anyone can now post comments without registering.

No comments: